I will answer the clojure.test question, since I wrote it.

You can call clojure.test/is with *any* Clojure expression: if the
expression returns logical true, the assertion passes. Having just the one
expression keeps the scope of the testing library small.

The `clojure.test/is` macro was designed to be extensible, based on the
syntax of the expression you pass it, but in a really convoluted way
involving multimethods and macroexpansion. It was an experiment that did
not turn out well, and I don't recommend it.

–Stuart S.