I highly recommend this talk on Spec by Stu Halloway. Spec is a new feature
coming in Clojure 1.9, and this talk goes into the pros/cons of static
typing and tests and shows how there can be a better way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTQ-M_uSo8

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Alan Thompson <clooj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Be sure to check out Plumatic Schema <https://github.com/plumatic/schema>
> (previously Prismatic Schema) if you haven't already.  There is also a good
> Clojure
> Conj video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_jtwIs2Ot8> from 2013.
> Alan
>
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Didier <didi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know a lot of people like to say how unhelpful Java like static typing
>> is, and only more powerful type systems of the ML family add value, but
>> I've been wondering recently if for Clojure it wouldn't make more sense to
>> simply extend the type hints to enable an optional Java like static typing
>> scheme.
>>
>> It is my understanding that ML style static typing is incredibly
>> difficult to add properly and without compromise to a dynamic language.
>> That doing so limits the scope of type inference, rendering the task of
>> adding type info more tedious then in ML languages themselves.
>>
>> ML style static typing provide enhanced safety grantees, but seem to add
>> too much complexity to Clojure to be practical. What about a Java like
>> static typing scheme though?
>>
>> I haven't found in practice that the safety of Clojure was an issue, as
>> the REPL workflow tend to promote quite a lot of testing. So I'm not too
>> worried about needing the state of the art of provable correctness for my
>> programs. What has been a biggest cause of issue to me was refactoring and
>> shared code base across a team. Those last two use cases are actually
>> pretty well handled by Java like static type checking. Is it a powerful
>> type checker, not really, but it enables most trivial type errors to be
>> caught early, and it allows easier integration points for other devs to
>> follow, as well as documentation for functions, better tools support and
>> easier refactoring, while also enabling performance optimizations.
>>
>> I have limited knowledge in typing systems, and have no idea how easy it
>> is to implement them, but as a user of Clojure, I feel like I would find an
>> optional Java like static typing a great addition, one that I am more
>> willing to use and benefit from then Typed Clojure's more complex ML style
>> type checking.
>>
>> What do other think?
>> Can anyone with better knowledge tell me if this would be feasible or if
>> adding such gradual typing system is effectively as hard as adding ML style
>> type checking?
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> "Clojure" group.

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)