You don't need mutability to represent a stopwatch.

  (defn start [stopwatch]
    (assoc stopwatch ::start-time (System/currentTimeMillis)))

  (defn elapsed-since-started [stopwatch]
    (- (System/currentTimeMillis) (::start-time stopwatch)))

  (defn stop [stopwatch]
    (-> stopwatch
        (dissoc ::start-time)
        (update ::elapsed (fnil + 0)
                          (elapsed-since-started stopwatch))))

  (defn elapsed [stopwatch]
    (::elapsed (stop stopwatch) 0)

  (defn reset [stopwatch]
    (dissoc stopwatch ::start-time ::elapsed))

Mutability is typically only necessary for two reasons:

1. Communication across threads
2. Performance

- James