`into` with more three arguments is a variant where the middle argument is
a transducer. So your original code was trying to use default-config as a
transducer, this code would work with either merge or into chained with ->:

(-> {} (into default-config) (into more-config))

I recently did a tutorial video on into you may also find interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_eRZRIuqiY

Timothy Baldridge

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:22 AM, larry google groups <
lawrencecloj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was trying to combine 2 maps into a new map, as you can see here. I
> printed both maps to the screen so I could see that, indeed, they were both
> maps. And yet I got a NullPointerException on the last line here:
>
> (defn update-config
>   [more-config]
>   (swap! config-holder
>          (fn [old-config]
>            (let [default-config (if old-config old-config {})]
>              (println "default-config ")
>              (clojure.pprint/pprint default-config)
>
>              (println "more-config")
>              (clojure.pprint/pprint more-config)
>              (into {} default-config more-config)))))
>

> I took the last line and changed it so I only had the second map merging
> with the first map:
>
>              (into default-config more-config)
>
> This seems to fix the problem.
>
> Perhaps I have "into" and "merge" confused. What was I doing wrong?

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)