Thanks all for your suggestions - I am going to try them out and see what I can
come up with, will post back here with results.

We're not using re-com as unfortunately our users will often be in relatively
locked down IT environments without the latest versions of browsers. And I can
confirm that we don't have devtools open while experiencing the poor
performance ;-)

Russell