dustymabe added a new comment to an issue you are following:
``

>>dustymabe
>>I would like to also point out that one other benefit would be to prevent
>>containers from cannibalizing your root partition.
>
> Not possible by making /var a separate file system, you'd have to use quotas.
> Ostree owns /var, it must be a directory on rootfs at present.

with
[DOCKER_ROOT_VOLUME](https://github.com/projectatomic/docker-storage-setup/pull/175/commits/ee035598cbbd8c194ab3f6830e38972dee24744a)
 and `overlayfs` using that then all of `/var/lib/docker` would be taken care
of. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

>> I prefer overlay2 and would like to see there be only one option so that we
>> can have less confusion in the future. However, giving users the choice is
>> nice as well. Maybe there is a way to achieve both on startup.
>
> You could have two kickstarts: overlay2 and devicemapper, and each kickstart
> is specified using a GRUB menu entry on the installation media. The
> devicemapper case uses the existing kickstart and depends on the existing
> docker-storage-setup "use 40% of VG free space for a dm-thin pool"; the
> overlay2 kickstart would cause the installer to use all available space for
> rootfs, leaving no unused space in the VG.

So I hardly ever use interactive installs, but that is a valid case. I would
think most people would be using their own kickstart file if they are
installing a server fresh and they would set up storage the way they want it to
be set up, right? I tend to think more about the cloud use case where you spin
up a preconfigured image. What I was referring to is having
`docker-storage-setup` be able to make the switch for us. It turns out that we
have the storage configured like this in the baked images (note this is before
`docker-storage-setup` runs):

```text
-bash-4.3# lsblk
NAME              MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb                 8:16   0   10G  0 disk
sdc                 8:32   0  368K  0 disk
sda                 8:0    0   20G  0 disk
├─sda2              8:2    0 19.7G  0 part
│ └─atomicos-root 253:0    0    9G  0 lvm  /sysroot
└─sda1              8:1    0  300M  0 part /boot
```

This means we can essentially look at if the user provided `overlay` or `DM`
and do whatever they asked.
- If they provided overlay then we can just extend the root partition and go on
our merry way.
- If they also specified `DOCKER_ROOT_VOLUME=yes` then they want overlay on
another partition, did they specify a partion? yes, use that one. no, create an
LV.
- If they provided DM then create new LVs and set it up just like we have been
doing before this discussion started.

``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/186