Hello,

We are using Qt Help (version 4.7.3) to provide documentation for our
application.

When we launch it, Qt creates an index directory based upon the Qt Help
collection file, which is used by CLucene (bundled with the Qt Help Framework)
to index the help contents.

So we have for example:

../documentation/
                             help.qhc
                             .help/
                                 segments
                                 _6d.cfs
                                 deletable

This setup is not working in our application, which consists of multiple
processes running concurrently, as it causes one or more processes to crash
when we startup.

>From the GDB back trace from the core file that was produced, the CLucene code
>is crashing in:

RAMDirectory::close (line 352)                                  files.clear();
TransactionalRAMDirectory::close (line 209)       RAMDirectory::close();
IndexWriter::close (line 165)
ramDirectory->close();

This seems to point to an issue with concurrent access to the IndexWriter
(related to SCOPED_LOCK_MUTEX? VoidMap?). I believe CLucene uses a write lock
on this directory (.help in our case) that can only be access by one process at
a time.

We can reproduce it repeatedly be removing the files under the .help directory
and restarting our application.

 Upgrading to the latest version of CLucene didn't resolve the issue (I can't
even find out which version we are using!).

So:

1/ Should CLucene support multiple processes/instances of the same process
writing to this index directory?
2/ Is there setting we can use to try and resolve this (e.g increase the write
lock timeout)?
3/ Is this a known issue and has it been fixed?

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any ideas about this.

Thanks,

Adrian

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete the original.