When shutting down my computer last night I forgot to close the CD door.
The computer shutdown but left the door open.  When I tried to reboot
it wouldn't start up.  By pushing the door I managed to get the door
closed.
At this point (or before when the computer shut down) there was a
sound like a motor, likely the CD drive motor.  This sound wouldn't
stop even though the computer was shutdown.  The computer would not
turn on at this point so I unplugged it.  I tried several times to
reboot after plugging in the computer but without success.  The motor
sound restarted but the computer otherwise remained completely off.
After several tries the motor sound stopped.
The only thing I see now is to bring it to a repair shop.
Can anyone suggest where I should get it repaired that I can reach by
C-train and if necessary bus?
My computer is over 5 years old  (2.7G celeron,  768M memory, cost
600$ in  2004)
but is fast enough for me for the moment.  At what repair cost point
does it make sense to just buy a new computer?

By the way if anybody is considering upgrading (as opposed to an
install) from  ubuntu  9.04
to  9.10,  DON'T!  I upgraded 9 days ago.  Since then my computer
freezes a dozen or more times a day.  Everything freezes except the
mouse.  Even ctrl-alt F-6 is ignored.  I tried to find a pattern as to
where it freezes but to no avail.  The only way I found to avoid
freezing was to not log in although it seemed pretty safe when only in
the shell.  I finally gave up and decided to do a fresh install.  But
I ran into problems burning a backup DVD.  I have my backups from 9
days ago though.  Then my computer died.

Thanks for any advice.  I can read emails (rpbol...@gmail.com) at the
library or I can be phoned at  403-764-3681

Ralph Boland