> When shutting down my computer last night I forgot to close the CD door.
> The computer shutdown but left the door open.  When I tried to reboot
> it wouldn't start up.  By pushing the door I managed to get the door
> closed.
> At this point (or before when the computer shut down) there was a
> sound like a motor, likely the CD drive motor.  This sound wouldn't
> stop even though the computer was shutdown.  The computer would not
> turn on at this point so I unplugged it.  I tried several times to
> reboot after plugging in the computer but without success.  The motor
> sound restarted but the computer otherwise remained completely off.
> After several tries the motor sound stopped.
> The only thing I see now is to bring it to a repair shop.
> Can anyone suggest where I should get it repaired that I can reach by
> C-train and if necessary bus?
> My computer is over 5 years old  (2.7G celeron,  768M memory, cost
> 600$ in  2004)
> but is fast enough for me for the moment.  At what repair cost point
> does it make sense to just buy a new computer?

Henrick kindly came by and looked at my computer and determined that
the problem was very likely the motherboard.  He suggested I buy a used
bare bones system cheap from Vfxweb.com and port my components across.
Unfortunately they didn't have any system matching mine.
So in the end I bought a new system;  much faster but not money
I wanted to spend right now.  C'est la vie.

Anyway, though I backed up most of my stuff,
there are some things I still would like to get off my old system.
Hopefully  Vfxweb will eventually get a matching bare bones system
that I can buy and install my hard drive onto.  Meanwhile if anybody
has an old system that I
can plug my hard drive into and unload the data I want that would be a
great help.
My old system has a  IDE  Parallel ATA hard drive and DVD burner  with  512M of
PC3330 memory + 256M  PC2700 memory.  I am hoping to get the old system
running so that I can learn how to get the two boxes talking to each other.
But if  Clug  has a good use for it I would be prepared to surrender it.

Regards,

Ralph (Rocky) Boland