> I regularly use two monitors on my laptop with the integrated Intel
> GPU.  I also have an ATI 4890 at home that does the same trick.  In
> both cases the monitors are not matched (IE. different resolutions)
> and it just works.

> Have you tried using xrandr from the command line to control the second
> monitor?

xrandr -q  implies the graphics card is attached to only one monitor
even though the
the graphics card sends identifying information to the second monitor.
Perhaps I need to install a driver but the only drivers I found on the
Internet are
for Windows.  In any case, since one monitor works, I assume that a driver
is not needed.  For some reason Ubuntu believes the graphics card supports
only one monitor and needs to be told that two are available.

Perhaps I need to mofify  xorg.conf but I could not find an xorg.conf file
in /etc or /etc/X11 or /usr/lib/X11 or /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d.
The files in xorg.conf.d do not seem to contain any information on
monitor output.

> I have some basic usage examples here:
> https://www.meganerd.ca/site/node/12

> The xrandr wiki can be found here:
> http://www.x.org/wiki/Projects/XRand

The Debian site has the following text:
As of today, the following drivers/boards support RandR 1.2:

    * the Intel driver on all boards (since 1.9.91),
    * the NV driver on G80 and higher boards (since 2.0.95),
    * the ATI driver on r200/r300/r400/r500/r600 boards (since
6.7.191) where RandR 1.2 replaces MergedFB,
    * the MGA driver on all boards (since 1.9.99)
    * the RadeonHD driver on r500/r600 boards (since 1.1)

Other drivers still use the old/hard/non-standard way to configure modes.

I assume the last line applies to my driver and that old/hard/non-standard
way means modify the xorg.conf file.  But I am not familiar with modifying
this file and can't even find it.  I think I would rather buy a new graphics
card than attempt to create a xorg.conf file from scratch.
Except I don't know which one to buy.  The two you described are for Intel
I believe but I am on AMD.