On Mon, September 24, 2012 9:46 am, Amy wrote:
> On 24 September 2012 08:51, Patrick Shirkey <pshir...@boosthardware.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, September 22, 2012 9:42 pm, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> - Eric Colleu provided the updated fix for pyclutter-widgets. (see
>> below) [a]
>>
>> - That led me to this snippet for embedding clutter to VBox. [b]
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/1759658
>>
>> - I found a reference to the doctool so I am trying to generate the API
>> docs.
>>
>> https://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/Doctools
>>
>> I have generated the xml file but yelp can't parse it and it just
>> displays
>> as raw xml in a browser. Am I correct that no one has automated the
>> "python* API docs build and put them online yet?
>
> Which XML file did you generate? The Gtk-3.0.gir file or the set of
> yelp pages from g-ir-doc-tool? (I tried to generate the documentation
> with g-ir-doc-tool but got some Python error about "argument of
> 'NoneType' is not iterable" - maybe a bug with the g-ir* tools.

I generated the gtkclutter.gir file.

> In terms of generated python docs, I haven't found any online - just
> the C-style ones on developer.gnome.org[0]. However I've found that
> those docs work fine - the translation from the C function name to the
> Python one is fairly consistent (gtk_(classname)_(method) --> make an
> instance of (classname) and call object.(method)).
>
> The only Python-specific documentation I've ever found is here[1]. I
> found that if I want to use a particular object it's great to read
> about it here first (plenty of explanation/examples), and then go to
> the (currently only C) API docs - the two work best when used
> together.
>
> [0]: http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/
> [1]: http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html

Yeah, but we can make it easier :-)  This barrier to entry means that
there is very little information available online for developing with
pyclutter and that seems unnecessary when we can just automate the API
docs and provide a softer landing for those interested in going the
pyclutter route.

Anyway I might take it up with the Gnome devs too. Maybe it's just that no
one who can has felt motivated to make it happen yet.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd