Hello,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:40:00AM +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
[...]
> > Which XML file did you generate? The Gtk-3.0.gir file or the set of
> > yelp pages from g-ir-doc-tool? (I tried to generate the documentation
> > with g-ir-doc-tool but got some Python error about "argument of
> > 'NoneType' is not iterable" - maybe a bug with the g-ir* tools.
> >

> I generated the gtkclutter.gir file.

The .gir files are usually generated at build time and installed in
$PREFIX/share/gir-1.0
On Debian based distributions the *-dev packages should contain the gir
files, while the gir1.2-* contain the typelib files which a needed by
PyGObject at runtime. However, if you compile your packages yourself,
use the --enable-introspection switch to make sure to generate the gir
typelib files.

> > In terms of generated python docs, I haven't found any online - just
> > the C-style ones on developer.gnome.org[0]. However I've found that
> > those docs work fine - the translation from the C function name to the
> > Python one is fairly consistent (gtk_(classname)_(method) --> make an
> > instance of (classname) and call object.(method)).

AFAIK, the best documentation for introspected bindings are still the
C-API docs on http://developer.gnome.org

> > The only Python-specific documentation I've ever found is here[1]. I
> > found that if I want to use a particular object it's great to read
> > about it here first (plenty of explanation/examples), and then go to
> > the (currently only C) API docs - the two work best when used
> > together.
> >
> > [0]: http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/
> > [1]: http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
> >

> Yeah, but we can make it easier :-)  This barrier to entry means that
> there is very little information available online for developing with
> pyclutter and that seems unnecessary when we can just automate the API
> docs and provide a softer landing for those interested in going the
> pyclutter route.

As stated on https://live.gnome.org/PyGObject#Documentation:
This is a work in progress and as of now produces documentation which
may not be that useful

> Anyway I might take it up with the Gnome devs too. Maybe it's just that no
> one who can has felt motivated to make it happen yet.

Contributions are always welcome :)

so long

:wq buz
--
GnuPG Fingerprint: 2FFF FC48 C7DF 1EA0 00A0  FD53 8C35 FD2E 6908 7B82