Hi Emmanuele,

the more I think about this, the more:

  set_alpha(NULL)
  set_timeline(NULL)

for creating defaults are something that I would not want to expose in
the API.

Exactly!  This ugliness is what got me started on all this in the first place!

let's assume allowing to unset the alpha -- to what would map:

  set_mode(CLUTTER_LINEAR);
  set_timeline(NULL);

? I guess it would just call alpha_set_timeline(NULL), which is a valid
behaviour. oh well, it wouldn't hurt, I guess, even though it would be
pretty much insane.

That's right. Of course, this is insane... but the model allows for it. I think it's better to have a consistent model that's easy to understand than to always try to prevent the user from doing stupid things. In the above case, the animation is still usable because get_timeline does the dirty work.

so, apart from the extra-rambly email, I went through three iterations
of the patch and at the end I have something similar to your initial
approach - plus the removal of the automagic creation of alpha and
timeline if NULL is passed to set_alpha() and set_timeline()
respectively and some more documentation. you can find it inside the
1.0-integration branch, which will be merged into master before the API
frozen release.

I've gone through your code line by line... you've now got exactly what I submitted! Thanks! I'm glad I was able to make my ideas clear to you.

I found two small details to fix up in your version... I'll just submit them to the list as a single patch (trivial stuff).

Thanks for the discussion!
Best regards,
Jonas Bonn
South Pole AB