On 09/18/2012 11:37 PM, David Cole wrote:
I don't like it. Existing tests that run and return, for example, a
number of errors that occurred, will magically appear as "not run" when
that number just so happens to be 77.

If there are enough people who think this is "simple and works" and are
not concerned about the accidental matching of an intentional return
value of 77 that does NOT mean "not run" ... then I will relent and say,
so be it, and allow it in.

But only if there are some people who speak up here or add notes to the bug.

It just seems wrong to me to treat 77 as some special number here.

Well, you need to interpret a return value as a special value to be able to tell executables could not be tested.

Without this, a whole category status is entirely unusable to whoever wants to use custom launchers! That's a pretty serious issue to me.

77 already exists in the autotools world, so it seems like a good idea to re-use it.

Making the executable return the number of failing tests is a very bad idea: it doesn't even scale beyond 255 for the average operating system. Certain operating systems also have funny behaviour with exit status as well: with OpenVMS, all even values are considered failures and all odd values are considered successes.