2007/9/26, Fredrik Hultin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> You're describing my problem all over again, if I'm not overlooking
> something important.
> If I write:
>
> SET(DEBIAN_PACKAGE_ARCHITECTURE "whatever")
> INCLUDE(CPack)

OK right.
Sorry for the delayed answer I was too busy to give this a try.

> in my CMakeList.txt, it will be completly ignored since INCLUDE(CPack)
> only transfers variables with the CPACK_-prefix to the
> CPackList.cmake. So CPack will never see the
> DEBIAN_PACKAGE_ARCHITECTURE-variable. That's why I proposed of naming
> it CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_ARCHITECTURE, since then I can actually use it
> at all.
>
> What CPackDeb.cmake says doesn't matter since it will never see
> anything but the variables INCLUDE(CPack) has copied to
> CPackList.cmake (ie. the ones starting with CPACK_).
>
> Or perhaps I've got it all wrong?

No you get it damn right.
I have just the same behavior.
The only way set a var value that can be seen by CPack
(besides patching CMake code)
is to provide it on a command line like this:

cpack -G DEB -D DEBIAN_PACKAGE_ARCHITECTURE="your_arch" CPackConfig.cmake

then
dpkg-deb -I  <generated-package>.deb
should show you

   Architecture: your_arch

It works for me on a Debian/Etch+SID with CMake 2.5-20070927 (current CVS)

This will work, but not as useful as the way  I thought it was working,
in the first place.

I think the work on CPack Generator is not fully satisfactory,
I pointed out some deisgn issue while writing the RPM generator.
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMakeUserUseRPMTools#CPack_Built-in_RPM_support_design_issues

I think you may add your remark concerning CPack design issue,

The first CMake volunteer who have time to propose patches for those
issue would certainly be welcomed :=)

--
Erk