Alexander Neundorf wrote:

I have (currently) two ideas:
either a special file, e.g. CMakeCustomArgs.txt, which in some way sets up the custom command line parameters.

There's a beauty in having everything inside CMakeLists.txt

Or have a cmake modules, which handles this stuff, and which also creates a custom target "help-args" or something like that, which prints the available args. This would not be available before cmake has successfully run.

This would be non-intuitive to people not accustomed to cmake.

I think that the scope of where argument definitions should be defined should be well defined. The example I gave of each cmake --help evocation returning a different set of arguments shouldn't be allowed. But it's reasonable to create some arguments when cmake is running under Windows or Linux, etc. And let's not forget that maybe 80% of all uses of command line arguments will be the most trivial one, i.e., statically define those arguments, so sticking with like 90% of all use cases would be good enough, IMHO.

wxWidgets' configure script throws all possible options, whether they're valid for Windows or Linux. It's really a mess, but it's simple to implement and I've never heard of anyone complaining about it.

Regards,
rod