If adding the parameter -G "NMake Makefiles" to my command line, then the output is different...but still errors:
********************* snip output *********************
Cross Compiling
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.0.0/WIN32/bin/dcc.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.0.0/WIN32/bin/dcc.exe --
broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCComp
iler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):
  The C compiler "C:/WindRiver/diab/5.9.0.0/WIN32/bin/dcc.exe" is not able to
  compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: D:/novero/Discovery/impl/target/CarIF_Appl/output/CMakeFiles/CMak
eTmp

  Run Build Command:nmake /NOLOGO "cmTryCompileExec\fast"

        nmake -f CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\build.make /nologo -L
  CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\build

        "C:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin\cmake.exe" -E cmake_progress_report
  D:\novero\Discovery\impl\target\CarIF_Appl\output\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFil
es
  1

  Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj

        C:\WindRiver\diab\5.9.0.0\WIN32\bin\dcc.exe -o
  CMakeFiles\cmTryCompileExec.dir\testCCompiler.c.obj -c
  D:\novero\Discovery\impl\target\CarIF_Appl\output\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCom
piler.c

  Target Unknown.  Use the -t option or set a default target with dctrl -t

  NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
  '0x1'

  Stop.

  NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
  '0x2'

  Stop.

As you can see above, now the CMAKE_C_FLAGS are not recognized.
set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "-tPPCVLEEN:simple")