On 10/20/2011 06:59 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Let me ask this,
>
> What would be the parent of a function located in the root CMakeLists file
> but called from a subordinate CMakeLists file?

It's the subordinate CMakeLists.txt file's parent, but what Michael
probably aims at is that some variables undergo a lazy evaluation,
i.e. when you say

set( CMAKE_MFC_FLAG 2 )
add_executable( ... )

in a function, and CMAKE_MFC_FLAG isn't evaluated till generation time,
the value "2" will be lost since it is limited to the function's scope.
See the following project for an example:

# CMakeLists.txt:
CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.8 FATAL_ERROR)
PROJECT(LAZY C)
SET(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE ON)
FUNCTION(ADD_EXECUTABLE_LOCAL TARGET)
    SET(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_FLAGS} -DLOCAL")
    ADD_EXECUTABLE(${TARGET} ${ARGN})
ENDFUNCTION()
FUNCTION(ADD_EXECUTABLE_PARENT TARGET)
    SET(CMAKE_C_FLAGS "${CMAKE_FLAGS} -DPARENT" PARENT_SCOPE)
    ADD_EXECUTABLE(${TARGET} ${ARGN})
ENDFUNCTION()
ADD_SUBDIRECTORY(local)
ADD_SUBDIRECTORY(parent)

# local/CMakeLists.txt:
FILE(WRITE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/main.c
    "int main(void){return 0;}\n")
ADD_EXECUTABLE_LOCAL(local main.c)

# parent/CMakeLists.txt:
FILE(WRITE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/main.c
    "int main(void){return 0;}\n")
ADD_EXECUTABLE_PARENT(parent main.c)

This should somewhat reflect the situation you reported. The sole
difference between the functions - besides the differently named
preprocessor definitions - is the PARENT_SCOPE flag. As you can
see, the "local" target is built without the -DLOCAL whereas the
"parent" target is built with the -DPARENT. This is because the
CMAKE_C_FLAGS in ADD_EXECUTABLE_LOCAL() isn't in effect anymore
at the end of local/CMakeLists.txt when the ADD_EXECUTABLE() is
actually used to generate the final build files, i.e. Makefiles,
Projects etc. In contrast, -DPARENT *is* in effect at the end
of parent/CMakeLists.txt when the build files are generated.

Regards,

Michael