From a default cmd.exe I see cmake 3.9 correctly finding VS2017 when
specifying the VS Generator.

C:\test\build>C:\support\cmake-3.9.2\bin\cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017" ../src
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25508.2
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.11.25508.2
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft
Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.11.25503/bin/HostX86/x86/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft
Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.11.25503/bin/HostX86/x86/cl.exe
-- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft
Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.11.25503/bin/HostX86/x86/cl.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft
Visual Studio/2017/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.11.25503/bin/HostX86/x86/cl.exe
-- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/test/build