On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 at 15:58, David Boyes <dboye...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shooting the breeze a bit, a question arose as to how to best handle
> processing the external interrupt used by SIGNAL SHUTDOWN to provide a tidy
> way to terminate a server gracefully when things are supposed to shut down.
> A quick look at the documentation doesn’t show any obvious way to do this,
> so some questions:
>

>   1.  Is there an easy way to do this in pipes?
>   2.  If not, can this go on the list of round tuits for inclusion in the
> base set of stages supplied with CMS?
>
> Since a lot of the new function in CMS seems to involve pipes these days,
> it would seem to be a useful thing to have.

There's nothing today, and it isn't easy if it isn't sent through something
like *VMEVENT or STARMSG.

I can see the value of a pipeline application using a stage to subscribe to
asynchronous events that come in the form of specific external interrupts.
My pipeline-based service machine would then be able to respond to the
SIGNAL SHUTDOWN. I also envision CMS Pipelines wanting to know about time
zone changes, but I hadn't thought about whether that needs to be available
as an asynchronous event.

Sir Rob the Plumber