After 6 years of experimenting on an infrequent basis I was finally able to
easily and repeatedly heave-to my 25 Mk1 this year.  I sail with a 135-140%
Genoa on a furler.  On the day everything clicked it was furled to about
100-110%.  Since then, I have made furling the Genoa to 100-110% the first step
of heaving-to.  It makes sense to me that, since heaving-to is all about
balancing the sails, sail area forward would be a significant factor.  But on a
boat without a furler this can't be accomplished without a sail change, etc.
So I'm thinking the same thing might be accomplished by positioning the main
sail with the sheet or the traveler.  Can anybody weigh in on their experience,
particularly with the 25 Mk1?

Mark