From: Rick Brass <rickbr...@earthlink.net>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:40:28 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Stus-List Heaving-to

I heave-to with Belle fairly frequently to socialize, eat lunch, sunbathe, etc.
She has a 155 headsail most of the time, and occasionally in higher winds a 110
lapper.  To heave-to on starboard tack I start on port and sheet in the genoa
tight as I turn into the wind. Boom is close to the centerline of the boat.
Once the boat stalls and the genoa is back winded, the boat will start to fall
off to starboard. Tiller goes as far to port as possible and gets lashed off.
Traveler is moved up or down until the boat stops and oscillation is
acceptable. Generally the end of the boom is about 1 to 2 feet below the
centerline of the boat. I adjust the mainsheet and vang, and the genoa cars, as
needed to spill wind out of the top of the sails depending on how hard the wind
is blowing. In lighter winds the boat basically parks. I’ve done it a time or
two in a brief squall, and the boat makes headway and leeway at around ½ knot.
Practice in wind under 10 knots, it is pretty easy to do.  Rick BrassImzadi
-1976 C&C 38 mk1la Belle Aurore -1975 C&C 25 mk1Washington, NC   From: CnC-List