Curtis;

When I went to Bermuda on a friend's boat a couple of years ago I was
greatly impressed by the benefit of his AIS receiver when offshore. It was
amazing how close a ship could pass and not be visible, and the AIS receiver
would show other vessels (commercial ships over 300 tons and some larger
recreational vessels with an AIS transceiver - you still need to keep a
lookout for traffic because most of the boats you will encounter will not
have AIS) many miles distant - and sound an alarm if there was a chance that
the other vessel would get close. I said to myself "Self, I gotta get one of
these."

Now an AIS transceiver doesn't seem like a good investment to me. Big ships
are not going to get out of the way of a 40 foot sailboat, so you basically
need to be aware of them and get out of THEIR way. So I started looking at
options for AIS receivers.

I ended up putting a SH Matrix GX2150 in the cockpit of my boat.

I have a prejudice against handheld radios (except in the dinghy or the
ditch bag). The realistic range for a hand held is 2 miles or less, and in
my experience a handheld VHF is a holder for dead batteries. So I have two
fixed mount VHF radios with redundant antennas on the boat. One is a
Raymarine DSC radio with dedicated GPS connected that is at the nav station.
The second is the SH GX2150 at the helm, connected to the Garmin 541s
plotter on the pedestal.

I initially only connected the NEMA 183 output from the GPS to the input on
the radio, which is a pretty easy thing to do. But I found that the AIS
display on the radio is pretty small for my old eyes to see, so I have now
connected the output from the AIS onto one of the inputs for the Garmin
plotter. It is only a one wire connection from the radio to the plotter. I
also had to configure the input to the plotter for the AIS; apparently the
output from the AIS to the display is a very high baud rate. The
instructions for wiring were in both the Standard Horizon and Garmin
instructions, as were the instructions for configuring the input for the AIS
to display on the plotter. I was a bit iffy about the configuration
procedure, so I called Garmin and their tech rep talked me through the
process. Now my AIS display is overlaid on the 5" chart plotter display in
front of the wheel.

I've been very pleased by the performance of the radio and the ease of
installation/connection. There are not a lot of AIS targets here in North
Carolina. I did see quite a few when in the Chesapeake last summer, though
none were threateningly close. But then I was not offshore in the dark off
Florida, where there is a LOT of traffic to worry about.

Your installation should be easier because there is a GPS built into the
radio, so you only need to wire the output from the AIS to the input for
your plotter.

You seem to be saying that you intend the radio to be a redundant GPS for
the boat. Remember it is not a plotter with includes chart data. It provides
GPS position course and speed input to the AIS system in the radio. The AIS
system uses your information to determine possible collisions with other
vessels based on the information it gets from AIS transceivers in the
vicinity, and displays a graphic showing the traffic around you. You still
need a chart plotter for depth information and to see obstructions, hazards,
etc.

The GPS position information appears on the display of my radio, so I
presume it will for you, but it doesn't replace the plotter for navigation.
Though I suppose you could take the position off the radio display and plot
it onto a paper chart

One other thing. I know you plan to sail offshore, so you should get a ship
station license from the FCC and get your MMSI number from them as part of
the package. You can get an MMSI number from Boat/US, and if the USCG gets a
distress call from your radio they can look into the Boat/US MMSI database
to see who you are and get particulars about you and your boat. But the
Boat/US MMSI numbers are not shared with the international SARSAT people. So
your Boat/US issued MMSI number will be meaningless to anyone outside the
US. Only an MMSI number issued by the FCC will be recognized if you are
offshore - but then you are supposed to have a ship station license if you
use your VHF, radar, SSB, etc. when you are in international waters anyway.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC