We had Calypso's balsa cored rudder off the boat last year for repairs.  Water
poured out of the exploratory holes we drilled in the fiberglass skin, low and
forward near the area needing repair.

After the rate of flow slowed we got out a 3" hole saw and cut larger
exploratory holes looking for the edges of the wet balsa area.  One of the
things we noticed is water leaking down from the top (likely seeping in from
around the SS rudder shaft) would often be stopped from draining all the way to
the bottom by resin filled channels between sections of balsa.  We found
evidence of balsa that had been wet for years.

On a large balsa core rudder it is unlikely it would dry completely with a few
drain holes in the bottom even over a winter.  With Calypso's rudder we opened
up enough skin on one side to expose the wet balsa areas, removed the damaged
core and dried the rest.  (We did the work in July so even in Seattle the hot
and dry weather did the trick in two weeks.)  We repaired the skin where it was
removed and added cloth around the leading edge to reduce the chance of more
damage from log/debris strikes.

To improve the seal around the rudder shaft, we ground out a ΒΌ" V groove and
filled it with 3M 4200. We did debate using an epoxy (like West's G-Flex) but
decided that epoxy would not bond well enough to the SS.  At rest, Calypso's
rudder/shaft interface is slightly above water.  We will watch this spot
closely and renew the 4200 when needed.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43