Calypso has a similar ablative paint situation as you describe.  We are in the
PNW with cold water so we mostly have slime and a few barnacles to deal with.

For the past 14 years, every two years we haul and have the bottom pressure
washed to remove the loose bottom paint.  If there are any repairs (C&C smile,
epoxy over the fiberglass to iron keel to lead keel joints) we have the repair
work done “to be sure the keel doesn’t fall off”.

Typically the ablative paint left after the pressure wash gets a rough sanding
to help the new coats adhere.  We put on two coats of bottom paint along with
zinc paint on the prop, strut, and shaft.  All the through hulls get inspected
and lubed.  I dive on the boat every 6 months to check/change the zincs and
inspect the overall bottom condition.  We cannot clean ablative paint in our
marina.  Mostly a brisk sail in a little chop will clean off enough goo that
the boat sails OK for the club level of racing we participate in.  If we were
to push the racing harder changing bottom paint is high on the list of light
air speed improvements.

So, my recommendation is to save the extra $$ for the complete strip unless you
observe other issues that require the extra epoxy barrier coating.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle