From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Robert Boyer
via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 10:23 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List Companionway hood

I am planning to remove my companionway hood and check for leaks later this
Fall.  Leaks into the hood are not an issue but I think the screws that fasten
the hood simply screw into the outer layer of fiberglass and penetrate into the
balsa core (like many other original fastenings).  I will most likely remove a
little core in the area of the screws and check it for water.  I will probably
drill out the holes to a bigger size (like 3/4-inch) and then fill them with
thickened epoxy.  After the epoxy hardens, I will use a suitably sized pilot
hole so the screws have something to bite into.  Even if it's not leaking into
the core now, if you've gone to all the trouble of removing the hood, why not
fix it so it will never leak?  In this case, there wouldn't be much of a need
for any sealant.

In driving rains, I am getting a leak that exits near the companionway steps--I
think the companionway hood is the likely entrance for the water (unless it is
simply coming in at the companionway door).  If this is the case (which I don't
know for sure yet) my balsa core is probably wet in the area.  We'll see...

Bob

Bob Boyer
S/V Rainy Days / Annapolis MD
1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230
email: dainyr...@icloud.com<mailto:dainyr...@icloud.com>
blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com<http://dainyrays.blogspot.com>

"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply
messing about in boats."  --Kenneth Grahame