Which company manufactures a battery is absolutely no indication of quality. They build to whatever specs and price point are demanded by the customer. Sears and Walmart batteries off the same assembly line are not the same battery. You can imagine what the specs and price point considerations are for Walmart batteries. Also understand that part of the "cost" of any battery is the carefully calculated cost of providing the warrantee. An long warrantee is just more money that was not spent on the quality of the battery itself. Some places have batteries that are internally identical, but come labled as 12 month, 36 month or 60 month batteries. The difference between these batteries is the price of the warrantee and nothing else. This is not some dark secret that I am revealing for the first time to the world.

"Dual Purpose" batteries should never be used where a deep cycle battery is called for. They are not really deep cycle as far as tolerating repeated discharge-charge cycles. The only exception is that Deep Cycle AGM batteries can be used for starting, as they have low internal resistance, and are not strained in the least by starting a small diesel engine. The other advantage of AGM is they charge faster and easier. That is also due to their lower internal resistance.

Bill Bina

On 10/1/2014 8:39 AM, Jack Brennan via CnC-List wrote:
I used to be a big fan of Sears Diehard batteries. The last set I had was junk. They only lasted three years and didn't perform that well, needing more frequent charging than the replacement pair. (I bought these from my marina; Interstate marine batteries, I think.)

Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30
Tierra Verde, Fl.

-----Original Message----- From: Rick Brass via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:22 PM
To: Wally Bryant ; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Boat Batteries

Wal,

What you say is perfectly true, but...

There are deminishingly few battery manufacturers in the US because of the impacts of environmental and OSHA regulations. And for the past decade or so Walmart batteries have been made by Globe Battery Div of Johnson Controls. They also make batteries for Interstate, NAPA, and the Sears Die Hard, among others.

Walmart and Sam's Club offer very good pricing, the lowest in my area, and good quality. The 115AH group 27 deep cycle batteries in my 38 were installed in 2006 and are still going strong. ( the batteries in my 25 were bought in 2003 and may need to be replaced soon on general principles) They were rated at 25AH more than the 27 deep cycles from West Marine, and cost less than half as much. Plus they had a 5 year warranty instead of 12 months.

My experience with deep cycle batteries from Walmart has been very good, and I have no qualms about recommending them.

Rick Brass

Sent from my iPad