As of yesterday, I’m about 95% complete with yanking all the deck hardware off
my boat and I am absolutely sold on butyl. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by
the effectiveness of it. Pretty much every installation that has used butyl is
dry and no apparent rot at first inspection. There were a couple of newer
hardware installations that used 4200 and there is evidence of leaking. I know
the guy who did those installations and he promised he would going to be using
butyl when he puts the hardware back on…

Of note, C&C did go the extra mile and chamfer the edges of all the holes
during the build and I think that that made a big difference in sealing. The
guy over at Maine Sail goes to great lengths to provide examples on how to do a
good installation with butyl.

My mast collar came out yesterday afternoon and the balsa core was a nice
yellow and dry. Reassuring.

Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay