After 10 years experience, mostly on Lake Superior, with our 30-1, I can
say it handles wind and waves better than most in its size class (which is
why we bought her). Went out in a a "small craft warning" in September, got
caught and took a beating and deserved it, but she handled sustained 25
knots gusting to 40,and 4-7 foot seas on the nose, very well. Of course you
lose a lot of momentum heading into waves that size in a 30' 4 ton boat,
and under sail or motoring you make just a couple of knots over the ground.
But she was dry, safe, predictable (especially under sail - with about 65%
headsail and one reef in the main, we had the rail in the water but never
took solid water over the bow! That said, after 6 hours without a break at
the wheel in those kinds of conditions I was so exhausted I could hardly
dock her when we made it back into the marina just after dark. The boat can
take more than I can.

Nate Flesness
"Sarah Jean"
1980 30-1