Here's another one on heavier winds:   Reef 1st or Furl 1st?

 Up 'till a few weeks back, when the boat gets over-powered I typically
 furl long before I reef because it's so much easier + it's quick to
 un-furl when going on a reach. But then I watched the "in port" race with
 the Volvo 'round the world thing where the ladies team reefed instead of
 going for the smaller gib and seemed to gain speed from that tactic.  When
 I tried reefing before it seemed to remove too much power ( In 18-22
 breeze)  but I was not looking at the boat speed closely.

 Has anybody done some tests on reefing vs furling in terms of outright
 speed on a close haul for a given wind speed?

 -Francois Rivard
 1990 34+ "Take Five"
 Lake Lanier, GA