Rex

This is a topic of MUCH discussion over the years.  Suggest you check the
photoalbum archives and you will get a lot of good information.

We went the Sikaflex 295 route in 2006, followed the instructions to a “T” and
no problems so far.  Removing the old windows was a bear and involved a fair
amount of gel coat damage which involved a lot of effort to repair.  My
thinking was I never wanted to go through that again so stayed away from the
Plexus system.  My research also indicated the adhesive industry had progressed
a lot from when the boat was builtUsed ¼ inch rubber spacers to ensure
sufficient depth of sealer.  Drilled holes and used screws at each corner to
hold in place while it cured (at least a week and is sensitive the heat and
humidity).  Removed the screws and filled with sealer.  Be sure to well tape
any adjoining surface as the sealer will squeeze out during installation and
you do not want it to contact any adjoining surface as you will never get the
black stain out.

Checked my own archives and offer the following for your info.  Hope this helps
and best of luck

John Maryann & others,

Different strokes for different folks. I went the Sika 295 UV route. It was
easy to work with, requires no special applicator and has a longer open time is
easy to clean up afterwards and costs less. Make sure that you use it as
directed. It must be used in conjunction with their cleaner and primer. The
primer is formulated to form a tenacious bond with the acrylic and fiberglass
(I specifically verified with their tech rep that it would also bond with
epoxy, since that is what I used to repair and fair the window recess). The

295 UV polyurethane forms a tenacious bond to the primed surfaces. You will not
get a good bond to the acrylic and fiberglass if you don't use the primer.

The thing that convinced me to use this method was that after doing research on
this list, it appears that after using the Plexus solution ther were people who
didn't get it quite right and still had small leaks. They were so daunted and
at the thought of breaking the plexus bond perhaps the acrylic and cost and
hassle that none of them redid the repair.

If you have to redo a Sika UV bonded window, it will be much easier.

I don't really buy the structural argument either. My window just pushed out.

It had surely not been structurally bonded for many years, but the cabintop has
not collapsed, nor had I ever noticed it flex when walking on it and I am not a
small guy.

There is a general opinion on this list that you should almost never bond
anything with 3m 5200 because almost every job will need to be redone at some
point and if you used 5200 you are making it harder (if not impossible) to redo
in the future. I apply this same philosophy to bonding the portlights.

Don't do something that makes this almost impossible to redo.

I have added a few pictures of the primer painted on to the window and recess
to the [

http://www.user.firstclass.com/~eric/Arioso/Log%20Months/April%202005 ]April

2005 log page on my site.

Here is an excerpy from the March 2005 log page which contains the details of
some tips that the Sika Tech Rep. gave me.

"I talked with Rick the Tech. Rep. from Sikaflex on the phone. He had the
following advice about using the Sikaflex 295-UV system. The product numbers in
Canada are different for some of the components. The Primer is 209N, the
Cleaner is 205, The adhesive sealant is still 295-UV. The working time of the
295-UV is about 20 minutes.Try and make the bead about as deep as the mortise.
Place the bead where it will meet the flat of the acrylic. Match sticks are
fine as spacers. There are no problems in using this product with epoxy. When
caulking the outside seam, push the caulking gun along, don't pull it. Smooth
the seam with a gloved finger dipped in a bucket of water with about four drops
of dish soap in it."

--

Eric Haberfellner

1979 C&C 34 Arioso

National Yacht Club

Toronto Ontario, Canada

43° 37.9' N, 079° 24.4' W

http://www.user.firstclass.com/~Eric/Arioso

CnC Email List <cnc_l...@cnc-yachts.com> on Friday, January 27, 2006 at 10:28
PM -0500 wrote:

>Different schools of thought - go the plexus route or the "soft" sealer

>/ bond route??

>Many on the list prefer the Plexus citing the added benefits of

>structural bonding.  I find that hard to accept as my boat and many

>other C&C's in the area have replaced windows where the old ones were

>not well bonded at all so not providing any structural strength and

>with no apparent issues.  Leaks, yes but no structure issues.

>Hunter, Sabre, Catalina, Tartan and C&C OEM as well as Select Plastics

>all use one of three comparable "soft" sealer / bond systems

>1)  Sika 295 UV - polyurethane sealant / adhesive (specifically

>recommended by the "new" C&C for replacement of "older" C&C windows)

>2)  Dow Corning 795 - silicone building sealant

>3)  GE Silpruf SCS2000 - acrylic bonding agent

>The key for these is to prevent UV degradation.  They all recommend

>using window material that prevents UV light getting through, or to

>paint the window exterior to prevent UV.  I personally prefer the Sika

>for its higher strength characteristics.

>Kind of like sealing an automobile windshield.  Also have personal

>experiences of several other C&C owners in the area - all with good

>results using these sealers / adhesive.  Let it flex, let it expand and

>contract and all is well.  You can still remove it if needed without an

>act of Congress

>Cheers

>John & Maryann Read

>Legacy III