Ed,
But it takes only a small panel to provide adequate current to keep them topped
off. You will need your alternator when using the batteries for cruising, of
course, but sitting on the mooring, even 0.5 - 1 amp is sufficient.  That's all
I use on Cat's Paw (kept on a mooring); I have a small solar panel on the
forward hatch.  Even with a small panel, though, I recommend a simple charge
regulator to stop the charging when the batteries are topped up.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw, C&C 35 Mk II