For racing on Long Island and the Hudson River the spin and non-spin
ratings are not intended to be used to combine fleets.

These ratings reflect differences in a boats ability when racing in either
a spin or non-spin fleet. For example if you use a spinnaker pole as a
whisker pole in non-spinnaker you can get a credit. Also a boat designed
with a standard blade jib is seen to be at a disadvantage when racing with
out a spinnaker as they have less sail area in the jib to project to
windward and may get a different non-spinnaker base rating.

Eric
34/36