Hi Rick:

I claim advantage since I also have a 38MKII, '77 vintage.

You could check the NEPHRF.org website to see if your current handicaps are
close for the boats racing.....if you have boats that are not registered,
you could assign a rating comparable with the list found there.

However, there are always discrepancies.....the "known list" portends to be
applicable to a boat that is in "racing shape"  in our case that means that
the sails and equipment are up to snuff and the bottom is clean....I would
expect that some of your participants won't match those criteria....

What we do in the Hingham fleet is to establish a "racing and a cruising"
rating for each boat.  Racing rating considers that the regular symmetrical
spinnaker will be used on a pole.  The cruising rating covers boats using
Jib and main only.  For our regular Wednesday night races, we don't have
enough boats to race separate races in each fleet so if I want to race in
the B fleet (which we won overall last year), and we don't want to use a
spinnaker (which I don't have, only an ASYM) we let "cruising boats race
with the spinnaker boats and add 10% to the cruising rating....That worked
very well for us last year.

IN our pursuit races, and we have several with over 100 boats entered, we
also (by necessity) have both types of boats racing in the same race....all
in one fleet.  IN that case, boats that are racing "Cruising" get 10sec.
added to their cruising rating.  Again worked well for us last year.

In your Pursuit race......simply assign a base handicap to each boat and
then adjust it for spinnaker or not racing.  Since the pursuit race starting
time already takes the handicap into account....then as usual, the first
boat across the finish line wins....

You could also check out a web site; www.regattaman.com
<http://www.regattaman.com/>   these guys do the race management for most of
the events in New England....find the calendar page and check out the Great
Chase Race....you'll find NOR's, Sailing instructions, and ratings for over
100 boats from Rhodes 19's to Swan 42's and beyond...

If you need more info, check with me off line and I'll send what I can.....

Best,

Ron Casciato

Impromptu

C&C 38MKIIC...'77