So I just had dinner with an old mate of mine and he had a great story about
sailing a C&C 39 back to Seattle from Maui a few decades ago. Japanese
fishermen used to have these beautiful blown glass fishing floats that would
occasionally get away and were highly valued by sailors.

They were reaching along with the kite up when my friend, who was driving, and
his watch mate saw one the size of a basketball. The watch mate tried to grab
it but missed. So he called "man overboard!" and jumped in after it. My friend
stopped the boat by going head to wind as the rest of the guys ran on deck.
They retrieved the glass ball and then their errant crewman.

Apparently the owner was quite impressed! :)

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

Andrew Burton