We've had good luck with a cedar plug, too.
I think it's appropriate, given the direction of this thread, to mention that
the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale is that one starts "Once
upon a time..." And the other starts, "Now, this is no shit..."!

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

Andrew Burton
61 W Narragansett
Newport, RI
USA    02840

+401 965-5260

> On Jun 18, 2015, at 21:33, Jim Watts via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> wrote:
>
> We used a cedar plug trailing on a heavy mono line joined to surgical tubing
> coming back from Hawaii last year, got a nice mahi and a nice albacore within
> minutes. A spray bottle of vodka dispatched them amazingly quickly. One shot
> into each gill and that was that.
> https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ecj52bdEiCo/VGP0OQZFptI/AAAAAAAACts/31i7niiJYkM/w1238-h820-no/DSC_9432.jpg
>

> Jim Watts
> Paradigm Shift
> C&C 35 Mk III
> Victoria, BC
>
>> On 18 June 2015 at 17:51, Frederick G Street via CnC-List
>> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>> The mahi seem to favor neon-green squid lures.  I think we had a 40-lb nylon
>> hand line out with a stainless leader and the squid.
>>
>> Fred Street -- Minneapolis
>> S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- Bayfield, WI

>>> On a delivery from Tonga to New Zealand we caught a 70lb yellow fin tuna.
>>> The vodka trick came in handy.  That fish was particularly pissed off to
>>> find itself winched up a backstay and being readied to be butchered into
>>> football sized roasts.
>>>
>>> On the Tonga/NZ trip there were three avid fishermen on board with offshore
>>> rods and reels.  My job was to sail the boat to keep the lines from the two
>>> rods from getting under the boat (a 46’ Barnett custom).  The fishing line
>>> was +-200lb test, the leader SS braid, the hook a big a** #3 treble, the
>>> lures were squid like.  After several hours of landing mahi, wahoo, and
>>> some sort of jack (some ½ eaten by the sharks) both rods sung out at the
>>> same time.  The guys responsible for the rods were stuffing tennis shoes
>>> into the reel area to help the brakes. After 20 minutes of fighting, we
>>> landed the small tuna (the 70lb’r), the big one broke the line and got away.
>>>
>>> I will put together a short list of what worked for fishing from a racing
>>> sailboat in the NE Pacific.  I claim no expertise but I have picked up a
>>> few easy no-rod tricks that seemed to work between Hawaii and the US West
>>> Coast.
>>>
>>> Martin DeYoung
>>> Calypso
>>> 1971 C&C 43