>... Never sure how it happened but perhaps overly long cranking during start.

I have experienced diesel engine hydro-locking caused by cranking over an
engine reluctant to start with the raw water supply valve open.

The water lift muffler fills up without engine exhaust pressure available to
push the raw water out.  Once the water lift muffler is full there is great
risk the water will back up into the exhaust manifold, then into the cylinder
through the exhaust valves.  Commonly the cylinder(s) being filled is followed
closely by a resounding metallic "Clunk". Bent connecting rods and/or valves
are a common but not certain result.

A failed head gasket or a cracked cylinder head resulting in a lower
compression in one or more cylinders will make a diesel hard to start.  The
slippery slope to hydro-locking begins with a hard to start engine. I do not
know how many attempts to start (how many seconds of cranking w/out fire) is
safe.  On Calypso (Perkins 4-108, medium sized water lift, 12" to 14" lift to
exhaust manifold) I expect three attempts of normal cranking (<10 seconds of
crank per attempt) would be OK.  Here's hoping I remember past lessons if the
next time Calypso's engine goes beyond that.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle