Ed:

The sail drive option is worth considering if you're going to buy new.  It adds
an element of complexity but at the same time eliminates a lot of other
concerns. Sail drive units aren't perfect - you will live in fear of
electrolysis but they do have advantages. I don't believe cost is one of them
on a retrofit.  They are cost beneficial to the original builder which may be
why you see them on all the new boats. They do require serious maintenance
every 7 years. With that said, they do simplify the installation, are quiet and
offer a significant reduction in vibration. Yanmar makes a spectacular unit.

Just a thought

John

Sent from my iPad