Contact cement should  work as well but best to buy the real glue.

Ive done a lot of patching on PVC and hypalon. In my experience it needs the
following to guarantee the bond.

1.       Clean sanded surface(both)

2.       MEK to soften the hypalon before applying the glue(aceton dries too
quick)

3.       Dry day with no humidity

4.       You cannot apply the patch or d-ring too soon.  Let the first coat
completely dry up.

5.       Apply second thinner coat and let it get very tacky.

6.       Then apply the patch and squeeze out any excess glue.

7.       If you can maintain pressure that’s even better.  Ive had good results
without pressure.

Every time I find myself squeezing out too much excess glue, it means I was not
patient in waiting for glue to dry before applying the patch.  I just did a 12”
by 8” patch on the bow of my AB to protect against painter rubbing, dock
splinters, and other boats rubbing during these busy few weeks of music
festivals in Newport.  It feels like anything that floats, seaworthy or not
(has nails and splinters sticking out) is tied up at kings park dinghy dock in
anticipation of Folk festival.    One day I’ll come home to a punctured tube.

Petar Horvatic

Sundowner

76 C&C 38MkII

Newport, RI