All 4 batters are full and adjustable.    I am certainly going to have to play
more with boom position.  I have rarely put the boom right on centerline as it
just hasn’t felt fast, but I will do some actual comparative measurements.
Probably comes from my dinghy experience where it is never on centerline.
Usually I have it a few inches (2-6”) off center at the rear in everything but
heavy air.  Dave

On Aug 11, 2015, at 6:20 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> David,
>
> Is your main a 3 + 1?  That is, top full batten and 3 partials below.  If so,
> you should focus on the second, or top partial batten not the top full
> batten.
>
> Upwind, boom on centerline, second batten guideline:
>
> Light breeze - slightly hooked to weather.
>
> Moderate breeze - parallel to boom.
>
> Heavy breeze - twisted off to leeward to reduce heel.
>
> Dennis C.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 11, 2015, at 3:23 PM, David Knecht via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
>> I have read in several places that one guideline for mainsail trim is to
>> make the upper batten parallel with the boom.  My upper batten is full
>> length with adjustable tension, so it is curved.  In this situation, what
>> part of the batten would theoretically want to be parallel with the boom?
>> Thanks- Dave
>>
>> Aries
>> 1990 C&C 34+
>> New London, CT