> All 4 batters are full and adjustable.

This is what I have on Calypso's mainsail plus it is an all conditions weight
of a Pentax like cloth.  The battens terminate into Harken Batt cars.  The sail
includes 3 reef points and a flatting reef.  This main is not particularly
responsive in TWS below 5 knots.

With the adjustable full length battens it has been my experience that in
lighter air the battens will mask some of the signs that the sail is out of
trim.  I use the much of the same trimming methods described by others
responding to your question, especially the telltales off the top two battens.
I will add that when pinching up below another boat I have brought the boom
above center and slightly over trimmed the main to throw a little extra dirty
air their way.  If I am in a cranky mood I will ask the crew to work up a fart
or two so the bad air also stinks.

What I have not tested enough is changing the tension of the battens for
different wind strengths.  When we have Calypso back in sailing condition,
improving our light air performance is high on the priority list and the main
sail near the top of that list.  I expect we will end up with a lighter newer
design of mainsail for full on racing and use the current sail for higher wind
forecasts and cruising.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43