From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Rick Brass
via CnC-List
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 10:01 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass <rickbr...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Universal Engine panel wiring

Your math is correct, and the high current through the glow plugs (and the fuel
lift pump) accounts for the fact that the system voltage drops to 11.5-12.0v
when the glow plug button is pressed.

But I just looked at the manual for my M35B and the glow plug button does not
provide current for the glow plugs or the fuel pump. It provides current to
close a solenoid that connects the glow plugs and the fuel pump to the battery.
So the high current flow is ultimately from B+, and the current flow through
the glow plug button only needs to be a faction of an amp.

I don’t recall David saying that the engine did not start or the starter did
not engage. Rather he indicated that the engine panel was wired differently
than the manufacturer’s wiring diagram and the starting procedure was different
than the procedure spelled out in the owner’s manual for the engine.

If the starter engages when the button is pushed, then there is demonstrably
enough voltage and resulting current flow to close the solenoid (which should
take well under an amp).

When the starter solenoid is closed, that creates an almost dead short on the
high current side from the battery (via the big red battery cable connected to
the starter) to ground through the starter coil, and there will be 175 to 250
amps of current flowing through the starter. The resulting magnetic field
creates enough torque and rotation speed to start the engine. On my boat, with
a 4 cylinder M35B, the system voltage drops below 10.5 volts when the starter
is engaged. As a matter of fact, if I restart the engine after the chart
plotter has been turned on, the chart plotter will shut down due to the low
voltage and will need to be restarted. (I swear every time that happens.)

It occurs to me that the fact that the system voltage drops to around 10v when
the starter is turning could be a contributing reason that David only measured
8v from the solenoid connection to ground when he pushed the starter button. If
the starter does engage, then I stand by my diagnosis that there is nothing
amiss with solenoid or starter, and that it would be best to restore the panel
wiring to the way it left the factory.

BTW, Mainecruising is right is saying the panel is the choke point for current
supply. All of the current to power the solenoid that connects the battery to
the glow plugs and fuel pump, the starter solenoid, and the instruments comes
through the key switch. Of course the panel and wiring is designed for the
current flow expected. And, of course, the panel on a Yanmar is also the choke
point for current to the idiot lights, alarms, and the starter solenoid as well.