You didn't mention a solenoid for the glo-plugs.  Did i miss that?  Without
a solenoid for the glo-plugs (and fuel pump) then just as the second
article stated (which is supported by your description of the connector)
the panel is providing all 24amps of current which is the choke point for
the pullin voltage of the starter solenoid.  When on the shore power
charger you can see voltages of as much as 14.7v which must be high enough
to meet the pullin voltage.

The solar charger is intentionally not going to go higher than 13.6v to
prevent boiling the batteries off.  You might see voltages less than that.

Just to reiterate and clarify.
You need 2 solenoids, one for the glo-plugs and one for the starter.  Also
replace the plug when you have a chance.

There is a good likelihood that the previous owner experienced the same
problem and because of the draw down of the voltage decided to rewire the
starting button so that he could glow, release, and then start.

Josh