My Beta 28 HP diesel, circa 2001, has developed a sea water leak on the engine
side/aft 'end' of the Jabasco (I think) pump which is driven directly by the
engine,
not by a belt. This engine has a primary coolant which is cooled by this water
pump circulating sea water thru a heat exchanger. BTW, the front/forward side
of the pump, which
has a speed seal plate on it and from which the impeller can be changed, is not
leaking at all.

According to Beta NC (located fortunately about 15 minutes from my boat!), I
need to replace the shaft seal(s?), assuming the shaft is not scored, etc.

My interpretation of the exploded parts diagram is that the pump, once
disconnected from the inlet and outlet hoses and block(?), should slide off the
shaft,
exposing the seals for removal and replacement. Murphy being a sailor, however,
I have visions of the entire shaft either coming out or not being able to
remove the pump without a wheel puller, etc.

Although they claim it can be done without a diesel mechanic or yard involved,
I am a little reluctant to do it since if I can't get it back together,
I might not even be able to move the boat to the yard (about 1/4 mile away)
since I might not have any secondary water cooling.

Has anyone on the list done this for a Beta engine and if so, was it a
reasonable job for what I like to call 'operator maintenance'
or should it be attempted only by someone at the 'shop level' maintenance?

I have looked on-line and none of the discussions are about doing this for a
Beta--lots of stuff on Perkins, M-4, etc.

Thanks,

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
C&C 36 XL/kcb