As mentioned above, It is a combination of apparent wind and comfort level.

If you are a cruiser then I would consider heaving to then reefing the
main. The boat will be relatively flat and comfortable when you work on
setting the reef. I used to do this when single/short handed and it was
much easier.

Eric

C&C 34/36