Patrick.  There is no reason to heave to when reefing (assume you’re reefing
the main).  Luff the main or head up so that it can luff, drop the halyard
(premarked is good) and then reef with either one or two lines.  No mess, no
fuss, 30 seconds at most.  It can also be a one person job with autopilot.  It
can (and in many cases is) done in your sleep.  If you’re working with jiffy
reefing think about upgrading.  Can’t hep on the heaving to sail combination.

John