You said that you have an older Android tablet as well as the Windows machine.

I have been experimenting with an Android tablet that has LTE/4G cell network
access built in (a 10" Samsung Tab2), which means that it also has an integral
GPS. So far I have been able to download all of the NOAA charts and a free but
limited app that displays the charts, the boat's position, and a few other
things. There are many apps available, and I have only scratched the surface,
but it seems that most are stripped down versions of apps-for-profit. I have
found nothing remotely approaching the capability of something like Open CPN,
that is available as freeware in Google app store. That said, if all you want
to see is your position on a chart, it does work and it will work for quite a
long time between charges. It would also work for just about any old smart
phone, especially if you have one that is no longer on a service. You only need
to be online to download the charts and apps, and wifi will work for that. I
wanted a tablet to get a bigger display, and I figured that since cooling was
not much of an issue, that I could get away with putting it in a Ziploc bag.

Anyway, to summarize: I have not used it much yet, but it does work, it has a
large display, and low power consumption. The software and the charts were
free. I am certain that it will work better if I put more time into it.

As for Windows, I have used OpenCPN on a Windows laptop, it handles AIS inputs,
will generate alarms, and in general it did everything that we wanted, but it
was more or less permanently attached to the boat's power.

It is worth remembering that it is all too easy to get dependent on chart
plotters and that they can and do die instantly. A boat that I was crewing on a
few years ago was returning from a Pacific trip and entering Haro Strait and
the Gulf Islands at about 04:00 when the laptop quit. We had hand held gps
devices but they did not contain charts, so we had to make an instant switch to
paper charts and a stop watch to identify flashing aids to navigation. There
are pointy rocky things everywhere in the area with lights on them, and the
navy was wrapping up a military exercise (Trident Fury) and had their boats
parked all over the place just to make it more complicated. Bottom line is it
takes a LOT more attention and a completely different mind set to navigate even
with a GPS position available than it does with the easy assurance of watching
one's position advance on a chart plotter. It is at least unsettling to have to
make the switch instantly, especially at night, and for that reason I think
that if an electronic chart plotter is to be used that there should also be a
back up available. I have a Garmin GPS 78 hand held, and it works fine. My only
complaint with it is the cost of the charts.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII
Port Stanley, ON