Kevin,

Great suggestion on Boat Beacon.  Just downloaded it.  Thanks!

David F. Risch
(401) 419-4650 (cell)

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 16:31:20 +0000
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Windows laptop for chartplotter?
From: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
CC: kevindrisc...@gmail.com

+ 1 for MX Mariner. I have been using it on my 7" android tablet and Android
Phone for 3 years in tights spots and up and down the Oregon + Wa Coasts and in
the San Juans. I also have Navionics on both devices for redundancy and with
have charts downloaded on both. These apps send me notification and/or
automatically update charts whenever new NOAA information is available (a huge
plus for safety imo.) Active Captain is also integral with both apps. MX
Mariner is free, I believe Navionics was $20 for charts of all of Northern CA,
Oregon, Washington and San Juans. HD Navionics was $50-60 as mentioned, but
normal fidelity was fine on my 7" Tablet.
Additionally I have an app called Boat Beacon which sends(with your MMSI #) and
receives AIS info. It does this only when connected to cell service (when I
need real AIS, I'll buy it.) I do also have an old handheld GPS (with outdated
charts... like nearly all non wifi enabled GPS/Chartplotters)
If I were you Danny, I would load up your android tablet, and one or two phones
with apps/charts as a back up for the delivery. IMO the dongles, bluetooth
adapters etc, add complexity and expense and seem like an obvious weak link in
the system to me, as well as the battery drain, and not having the
plotter/laptop in the cockpit. The apps will always be cheaper than additional
hardware. But you can worry about that or not, when you get your boat home!
BTW, you'll find that most delivery skippers only use a Tablet with Navionics
because they can't trust the systems on the boats they are delivering. And a
plug for one of the only boats/blogs that are really out there doing real
sailing and not island hopping: s/v Sila, who has been using iPad Tablets
successfully for years now, including around Cape Horn and a number of oceanic
crossings. My 2 cents.

Congratulations on your (almost) new boat Danny!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 8:16 AM Della Barba, Joe via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

I have been using an old IBM Thinkpad and OpenCPN for years and it all works
great. You get spoiled and “real” marine chartplotters seem quite lacking.
OpenCPN
 is free and all the charts are free too.
The only drawbacks are that a laptop is NOT anywhere close to waterproof, it
isn’t in the cockpit, and they draw more power than a plotter. My old beast
draws
 around 4-5 amps.