I did much the same as Paul. Bought the fabric and new foam at a local
discount fab that had a good selection of upholstery fabric. Cut the foam
myself with an electric carving knife - which turned out to be very easy.
The actual sewing was done by a local shop that specializes in
reupholstering furniture - who were a LOT less expensive than the local
shops who specialize in work for boats. All up, I have a bit over $2400
invested in 3 v-berth cushions, a quarter berth cushion, two settee seats,
and 8 cushions for the backs and arms of the settees. I also had some
largish pillow covers made with a flap and button closure (think of a large
fabric mailing envelope) using some excess fabric. The bed linens for the
four beds on the boat get stored in these throw pillows.

See if, among your cruising friends, there isn't someone who does canvas
repairs and sewing projects as a sideline. I had a friend who is a live
aboard cruiser and does canvas repairs for other cruisers help me figure out
how much fabric, foam, Pfeifertex (backing material like screen so berth
cushions and seat backs can breathe), and binding for the piping on the
edges of the cushions I needed. Her input on fabric selections and
techniques were invaluable.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC