It took us 4 years to rename our boat. We bought it in Lake George and hauled
it to her new home on Lake Champlain and
the 1st thing I did was peel off the vinyl lettering of her old name, Jack
Rabbit. The former owner also applied a giant,
two actually, one on each side of the hull, near the stern, vinyl cartoon
character of a Jack rabbit. Pretty ugly. I'm an Irish citizen,
so I wanted something Irish, but then a friend said she'd hate to see me call
the Coast Guard in an emergency and try to get them to understand
the name of the boat in Irish. For example, if I named the boat "Seaworthy" in
Irish, the call would go like this; "May Day, May Day,
this is Muiracmhainneach!"  "Say again, sir? Could you spell that?" As I'm
sinking I'm teaching Irish to the Coast Guard.
My partner never sailed before meeting me, and as we heeled over she'd hit the
deck and scream, so keeping true to my Irish roots I thought I'd name
the boat "Screaming Banshee" (in English), an Irish fairy maiden, who,
unfortunately, foreshadows doom. "Come on aboard, oh, don't worry, this sail
isn't doomed, really, it's just a name." But as cruisers, I didn't want to be
plodding along and have another cruiser fly past us with us sporting
"Screaming" in our name.
So, long story short, we named her Banshee (in a Celtic script, of course!).
Ed